27 May 2008

First Storyboard

What is my June Capsule challenge going to be? Hmmm. Other contestants are doing these amazing "storyboards" with sketches, and swatches, and patterns. I'm amazed by the skill of these women. I'm nowhere near that good, but the beauty of it is, I don't have to be. I only have to be as good as I am, and I love that. Besides, this will definitely challenge me to do things I'd normally be too lazy to attempt. Like storyboarding my plans before I sew! (Of course, that's rather why it's called Sewing With A Plan!)

I never even had to think twice about what kind of capsule I'm sewing. I need summer clothes. Badly. I need clothes that fit, that I feel pretty in, and that will weather the scorching heat here in my desert town. Since I see that many of the participants in these contests name their collections, I'm debating something like Heat Wave, or Scorching Lace. (That latter will only work if I have a lace theme in all the garments, though, and I'm not sure if I'm going with that.)

Right away I know two of my pieces. That lacy camisole that's been an unfinished object (UFO) in my sewing room for the past year, and the pair of white shorts I've been meaning to make for ages.

I think the only summer weight fabric I have in my meager stash is white muslin. My budget is extremely tight, so I can only buy a minimal number of supplies and materials and I'm thinking patterns and notions need to be the priority there. It needs to fit, after all!

So back to the storyboard thing. I have two items of the four (plus one accessory). One doesn't have a pattern picture, so I get to figure out how to storyboard that one. The other is going to be made out of white muslin, so I get to figure out how to photograph that one. And I need to settle on two more pieces. I'm thinking maybe the lime green dress I bought last month. (Then I might have to call the capsule collection "Limeade". Oh! Oh! I think I like that!) If I can find a good pattern, I'd like to do a sun shirt. Something to keep the sun off my skin, yet not give me heat stroke, but also doesn't make me look frumpy. That's a lot of requirements for one pattern! The real trick is going to be how to keep from looking like I'm wearing a sheet, yet still finish four items in one month!

Storyboard 1a

I just spent a shocking amount of hours creating this storyboard! I had no idea it would be such an involved process! And I still have two items to add!

No comments: