26 May 2008

Sewing a Life into Being

Tonight, in my internet travels, I stumbled across something that has lit a fire in my belly. It's called Sewing with a Plan. I've done some research in the past on how to buy a simple work wardrobe (for saving money), but I never thought to apply the concept to sewing. I've been unhappy with my wardrobe for a long time. My body is a new shape, my tastes have changed, and my lifestyle has different clothing needs than it used to. I've been thinking of a number of things I need to add to my wardrobe, especially for the summer that is fast approaching. I even have a few patterns in my new size. Only a few, though. So when I stumbled upon this idea of sewing with a plan, planning a wardrobe of interchangeable pieces, and sewing them as part of a contest, it was a little like love at first sight.

So I joined a contest. The June Capsule Contest (JCC), which requires the sewing of four coordinated pieces, plus one accessory. There are some other rules involved, just to make it interesting. One piece must be a top, and one must be a bottom. One of the five pieces can be store bought, and one can be made before June. That before June thing isn't much of an option for me, since this contest begins so soon! And nothing can be black. I don't want black for summer-time anyway, so I'm good with that one.

I've surprised myself by jumping into this challenge without really spending much time to consider it. I feel like I'm grabbing a bull by it's horns, and making a stand that something is going to be for me. I'm going to sew My Life into Being. I'm going to have a brand new clothing capsule, it's almost like a whole new wardrobe! (Only a bit smaller.) I already have ideas bouncing in my brain, but that's for a different entry. So wish me luck, and don't call me crazy because I've decided that I'm going to sew most of my clothes this year. And keep coming back, because June is very soon, and I should have lots of sewing updates as I rock this challenge!

No comments: